Re: Periods

From: Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)protonmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Paul A Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Periods
Date: 2019-07-04 18:18:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday, July 4, 2019 8:04 PM, Alvaro Herrera alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com wrote:

> Hello Vik,
> On 2018-Jun-05, Vik Fearing wrote:
>
>>> I understand that your patch is just to allow defining periods, but I
>>> thought I'd share my own hopes earlier rather than later, in case you
>>> are doing more work on this.
>>
>> Yes, I plan on doing much more work on this. My goal is to implement
>> (by myself or with help from other) the entire SQL:2016 spec on
>> periods and system versioned tables. This current patch is just
>> infrastructure.
>
> Have you had the chance to work on this?

Hi Alvaro,

I've been working on this as an extension instead. It allows me to do some stuff in plpgsql which is much easier for me.

https://github.com/xocolatl/periods/

I would love to have all this in core (especially since MariaDB 10.4 just became the first open source database to get all of this functionality), but something is better than nothing.
--
Vik Fearing