Re: Bug introduced in 8.0

From: Lew <noone(at)lwsc(dot)ehost-services(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug introduced in 8.0
Date: 2008-08-27 00:46:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Also, start looking for another job where your bosses aren't idiots.

For many, the choice of whether to work for an idiot or not is the choice to
be employed or not.

Mark Twain observed that at age nineteen, a young man finds his father to be
the stupidest man in the world, but year by year thereafter finds that his
father was smarter and smarter.

What managers manage is risk. Naturally they can only manage perceived risk.
The perception is that new software produces new risk, and from that
perspective it is not idiotic but quite reasonable to resist change. They
aren't idiots, they're just under-educated.

One who knows better has a fiduciary responsibility to their employer to
inform them of risks of which they wot not. In the case of "minor" version
upgrades to PG, it is our duty to inform our bosses of the risk of not
upgrading, so they can properly assess risks and manage them accordingly.

--
Lew