Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM

From: "Stephen" <jleelim(at)xxxxxxx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM
Date: 2003-11-05 17:24:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The delay patch worked so well, I couldn't resist asking if a similar patch
could be added for COPY command (pg_dump). It's just an extension of the
same idea. On a large DB, backups can take very long while consuming a lot
of IO slowing down other select and write operations. We operate on a backup
window during low traffic period at night. It'll be nice to be able to run
pg_dump *anytime* and no longer need to worry about the backup window.
Backups will take longer to run, but like in the case of the VACUUM, it's a
win for many people to be able to let it run in the background through the
whole day. The delay should be optional and defaults to zero so those who
wish to backup immediately can still do it. The way I see it, routine
backups and vacuums should be ubiquitous once properly configured.

Regards,

Stephen