Re: PostgreSQL certifications?

From: Evan Rempel <erempel(at)uvic(dot)ca>
To: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL certifications?
Date: 2004-06-03 15:08:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

I disagree with the supply demand argument.

I just went through a 100+ hour evaluation of 4 database products for
selection in an enterprise environment. Approx 200 databases for a total
of 11+GB of data with 4,500 users accross 110 departments. A substantial
undertaking.

One of the criteria was "Can our DBA team get formal
training/certification to support the selected product in our
environment?"

Without this, the organization is reluctant to even consider rolling
PostgreSQL our in a production environment, regardless of who thinks it's
good, how much it costs or any other technical reason. The IT staff never
gets an oportunity to showcase PostgreSQL because it is never put into
production. If it's never in production, there is never a job oportunity,
and without the job oportunity, the PostgreSQL community never create
training/certification. This is an endless circle.

Evan Rempel.