Not Null Field

From: Margarita Barvinok <brita(at)umich(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Not Null Field
Date: 1999-09-20 15:34:42
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

I created the phonebook table with NOT NULL fileds:

create table phonebook (
first varchar(20) NOT NULL,
last varchar(20) NOT NULL,
uniqname char(8) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
phone varchar(30),
status char(7) NOT NULL,
room varchar(40) );

If I try to insert NULL values into those fields from psql I got an error
message - that is right.
But when I insert records from my C-program (with embedded SQL) I dot no
errors and such records are added to the table. I even can insert empty
record. Why this happens? Do I need to write some code to check NULL
values?

Thank you,
-Margarita

Margarita Barvinok