Re: Using Threads?

From: Junfeng Zhang <junfengz(at)cae(dot)wisc(dot)edu>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Threads?
Date: 2000-12-04 15:31:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All the major operating systems should have POSIX threads implemented.
Actually this can be configurable--multithreads or one thread.

Thread-only server is unsafe, I agree. Maybe the following model can be a
little better. Several servers, each is multi-threaded. Every server can
support a maximum number of requests simultaneously. If anything bad
happends, it is limited to that server.

The cons side of processes model is not the startup time. It is about
kernel resource and context-switch cost. Processes consume much more
kernel resource than threads, and have a much higher cost for context
switch. The scalability of threads model is much better than that of
processes model.

-Junfeng