Re: pg_pconnect - ??

From: Chadwick Rolfs <cmr(at)shell(dot)gis(dot)net>
To: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
Cc: PostGreSQL PHP Group <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_pconnect - ??
Date: 2002-02-02 17:35:56
Lists: pgsql-php

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Frank Joerdens wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 02:19:57PM -0500, Frank Bax wrote:
> > The connection will only be reused if the *same* apache child process
> > handles the request.
>
> IMHO, also if another apache child handles the request which also has a
> connection open to the same database using the same connection string.
>
> [ . . . ]
> > If your postgres database is on the same server as you webserver, there is
> > neglible gains for using pconnect over connect.

> PII 400). It makes quite a difference, speed-wise, which would support
> my line of reasoning. I didn't try to measure this scientifically (or
> pseudo-scientifically, for that matter).

It's hard for me to tell here whether you are referring to
faster connections, or slower connections. I know the query run time is
important in this discussion, so I assume the two latter statments above
are regarding connection time.

Frank: are you using pconnect? If so: are you using it due to slower
connection times through your tcp/ip (?is what you're using, right?)
sockets? -and- are you able to use unix sockets with solaris? Does the
added physical layer make tcp/ip much slower, slower, or not at all?
Point me to the thread, please.

Personally, I see pconnects being used on the web/postgres/php server
here, and there are always about 10 children lying arond idle. There is
no connection time difference between pconnect and connect. I see no need
to use them. When the database server does eventually move to it's own
box (maybe), I'm wondering if I should recommend persistence if connection
is slow... as well as a shorter connection timeout.

I'm also wondering if I should offer to change all those pconnect
statements to connect to save on resources that the idle children take
up.. ;P

Chadwick Rolfs - cmr(at)gis(dot)net
Cleveland State University - Student
Music Major - The Holden Arboretum Volunteer
Computer Programmer - Student Employee
--*I finally found powdered water;
I just can't figure out what to add to it*--