Re: Conditional SQL query

From: Indraneel Majumdar <indraneel(at)www(dot)cdfd(dot)org(dot)in>
To: Cristóvão B(dot) B(dot) Dalla Costa <cdallacosta(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Conditional SQL query
Date: 2000-11-06 10:00:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

I finally got it to work. you can't use the parentheses. eg:

insert into table select x,x,x where col1 = 'value';
and not
insert into table select (x,x,x) where col1 = 'value';

the latter gives a
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "where"
I am using PostgreSQL-7.0.2

Now I have one more problem. How do I insert only once if value does not
exist? eg:

insert into table once select x,x,x where not col1='value'

Thanks,
Indraneel

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Cristóvão B. B. Dalla Costa wrote:

> > > insert into table select ... where col1 = 'value'
> > >

> > this is working but I am inserting values directly and not by select. eg:
> >
> > insert into table values(x,x,x)
> > and not
> > insert into table select * from table2
> >

> insert into table select (x, x, x) where col1 = 'value'

# Indraneel Majumdar ¡ E-mail: indraneel(at)123india(dot)com #
# Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node), ¡ URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com #
# Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, #
# Hyderabad, India - 500076 #