Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

From: Indraneel Majumdar <indraneel(at)www(dot)cdfd(dot)org(dot)in>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables
Date: 2000-10-16 21:54:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

Sorry for splitting mails. Is there some way of using the oid of each
row to do the mapping instead of creating two more columns of integers?
The third table can then be like this:

create table T3(
T1 oid,
T2 oid
);

also how can I find out the oid of a particular row? and how can I use
this oid in a select statement?

Thanks,
Indraneel

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Gerhard Dieringer wrote:

> I don't know what type of data your columns x and y contain. If they are,
> for example, of type text and contain long strings, then it would be better
> to add an integer id column in each tables T1 and T2: x_id and y_id and
> use these ids in the table T12.
>
> Then you only have to repeat the (short) numeric vales in T12. But I think there
> is no way to totaly avoid any repetition.

> Gerhard

# Indraneel Majumdar ¡ E-mail: indraneel(at)123india(dot)com #
# Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node), ¡ URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com #
# Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, #
# Hyderabad, India - 500076 #