Re: [GENERAL] Limitation

From: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: John Huttley <john(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Limitation
Date: 1999-06-24 19:05:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

# > 1. Have more than 7 fields on a btree index
#
# We have never understood why someone would want an index with more than
# seven columns.

Honestly, I think it's the same reason someone would want to
insert data as a single string, then create a view that does substrings to
produce the appearance of a multi-column table (which, I assume is then
selected on from certain fields, causing table scans). Sometimes, people
try to wedge efficiency into an inefficient design, which rarely works.
My approach here would be to substr before insertion, then make a view to
concatenate the results.

--
SA, beyond.com My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub 1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>