RE: [GENERAL] Limitation

From: "Roeland M(dot)J(dot) Meyer" <rmeyer(at)mhsc(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "John Huttley" <john(at)mwk(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] Limitation
Date: 1999-06-24 16:18:42
Lists: pgsql-general

It's called an organicly grown schema. I recently had exposure to such a
beast at a customer's site. I won't say whom, but they are a large
supplier of medical infrastructure software. This software has been
hacked beyond recognition. It is on Oracle and front-ends are built with
power-builder, but they have ISAM/CICS and other stuff too. Their
original ratty design has been hacked, over the years, in an
uncontrolled environment, by every schlock hacker in the SF bay area.
I've seen as many as 12 columns in an index. They didn't want it, it's
just there and they have to deal with it somehow. A re-design is over 18
months and $5M, but they have to keep current production up as well.