Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres

From: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
To: Chris Bitmead <chris(dot)bitmead(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, eric(at)broken(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres
Date: 1999-04-26 18:24:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Chris Bitmead wrote:

# > IDE is just plain slow on Unix. Unix does much better with SCSI,
# > especially when there are multiple disks.
#
# Oh I don't know. If you've only got 1 or 2 disks you may find IDE
# sufficient. (well it works nicely for me.)

Works != works as well as SCSI. I've yet to find an example where
IDE works as well as SCSI in real life (vs. benchmarks). My real life
scenarios rarely involve telling a machine to be still so we can do a disk
read, then again for a disk write.

# People have been commenting lately that postgres on Solaris is very slow
# compared to Linux. Apparently certain file system operations on Solaris
# is _slow_.

Slow, however more robust than the same in Linux. Linux achieves
a lot of speed by throwing away safety nets. Sometimes, these safety nets
are important.

--
SA, beyond.com My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub 1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>