Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres

From: Chris Bitmead <chris(dot)bitmead(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: eric(at)broken(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres
Date: 1999-04-26 09:47:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I am going to buying a sun server to run postgres
> > on as a backend database server for a www site. Does anyone
> > have suggestions on what to buy? Does anyone have
> > advice on running postgres on solaris or suggestions not to?
> > My budget is 5k to 10k but i'm looking for a machine that
> > can scale cpus and memory.
>
> IDE is just plain slow on Unix. Unix does much better with SCSI,
> especially when there are multiple disks.

Oh I don't know. If you've only got 1 or 2 disks you may find IDE
sufficient. (well it works nicely for me.)

> > Does anyone think i could get just as much running postgres
> > on a dual pent III with linux or FreeBSD as i could on a sun > > enterprise 250?

People have been commenting lately that postgres on Solaris is very slow
compared to Linux. Apparently certain file system operations on Solaris
is _slow_.

> Good question. I know BSDI runs well on two cpu's, and I know FreeBSD
> and Linux use them too. On intel platforms, you are not going to find
> many OS's that can handle _more_ than two cpu's,

I disagree. I think Linux 2.2 should be able to go to 4 CPUs no problem.
Linus's personal machine has 4. I heard that FreeBSD's SMP isn't very
advanced but I have no personal experience.