Re: [GENERAL] Performance

From: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Jason <neumeier(at)bright(dot)net>, "'psql'" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "Aaron Holtz (E-mail)" <aholtz(at)bright(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Performance
Date: 1999-03-30 18:04:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

# Using the rc5 client as a 'benchmark' (what else has programmers working
# hard to optimize their code to get the best numbers on it?), we found
# that when comparing a Dual-PII 450 against an Sparc E450/400Mhz, the
# E450 came in at ~30% less powerful then the Dual-PII ...

That's a *horrible* benchmark. How often do your servers sit
around doing math inside of cache? This isn't raytracing.

# If you take a look at
# http://infopad.EECS.Berkeley.EDU/CIC/summary/local, it shows comparisons
# of the various CPUs out there, up until Nov/98 ... the Intel CPUs blow
# away the Sparc chip's in integer arithmetic, while the Sparc excels in
# floating point. Your operating system, and the database, tends to do
# most stuff in integer, so you get performance boons that way...

This is absolutely incorrect. My database tends to do most stuff
in I/O. In the real world, I've not seen sign of a machine that could
keep up with my SPARCs 24/7.

# The other thing to consider is that you are comparing two differences,
# not just one. Different CPUs and different operating systems. Solaris
# isn't nicknamed 'slowaris' for nothing :) Its a bloated OS, albeit
# stable...

It's nicknamed ``Slowaris'' for the same reason FreeBSD is
nicknamed, ``FleaBeastie'' and Linux is nicknamed ``Linsux'' and HP-UX is
nicknamed ``HP-SUX'' etc...