Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB

From: Charles Sprickman <spork(at)bway(dot)net>
To: Madison Kelly <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Writting a "search engine" for a pgsql DB
Date: 2007-02-26 21:24:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Madison Kelly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd really like to come up with a more intelligent search engine that doesn't
> take two minutes to return results. :) I know, in the end good indexes and
> underlying hardware will be important, but a sane as possible query structure
> helps to start with.

I'm not a programmer, so I can't comment on how good of an example this
is, but I've been pretty happy with mnogosearch:

http://www.mnogosearch.com/

The *nix versions are free. Looking at the db structure gave me a bit of
an idea of what I'm guessing is the "right way" to search a huge amount of
documents.

Charles