Re: Query speed problems

From: Victor Danilchenko <danilche(at)cs(dot)umass(dot)edu>
To: Nikolaus Dilger <nikolaus(at)dilger(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query speed problems
Date: 2003-04-18 15:01:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Nikolaus Dilger wrote:

>Victor,
>
>What is the issue? You get sub second response time.

The issue is that the query is a part of *user interface*, as I
wrote in my original message; and there is a small number of such
queries (about 3) that run per each user action. A second-long wait in
*UI* is unacceptable -- people tend to find even third-of-a-second wait
to be annoying. UI interactions should be so fast as to appear nearly
instant.

>Why waste your time trying to make it faster?

Well, there's also the learning aspect of it -- this is my first
major SQL project, and I am trying to understand as much as I can about
under-the-surface stuff. Thanks to Peter Darley, I already have a fast
solution -- now I simply want to understand more about the performance
issues inherent in reverse-lookup subqueries.

--
| Victor Danilchenko | Of course my password is the same as |
| danilche(at)cs(dot)umass(dot)edu | my pet's name. My macaw's name was |