Select * from ( Select etc..)

From: Jeffery L Post <postjeff(at)uwm(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Select * from ( Select etc..)
Date: 2001-01-11 23:48:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
I am just wondering how I can select from a generated dataset.
ex.
Select * from (
select first, last from staff where salary > 12000
union
select first, last from staff where salary < 50000
)
order by last

I just took a class in oracle and I thought I remember doing just such a
thing. I know that Oracle does a lot of non-standard sql stuff but it
seems that this would be part of the standard.... I read through the to-do
list to see if it is somthing that is being worked on. But that just
stumped me.... What is this sort of thing called? selecting from a
generated dataset and is it somthing that is being worked on. Or is it
just somthing that I am making up in my head..

Thanks
Jeff Post
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee