Authentication and Perl

From: aaron ross <ross(at)forum(dot)swarthmore(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Authentication and Perl
Date: 1998-09-25 15:56:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,
i am trying to connect to postgres from a Perl script using DBI,
and using an encrypted password. (for right now i'm doing this on a
local machine, but the idea is obviously to go from a web server to
another machine with postgres on it.) Even though I have this in the
pg_hba.conf file:

local all crypt
host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 crypt

the perl script connects just fine with a plain text password.

but if i use perl's crypt function,

$dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:Pg:dbname=dbname", "user", crypt("cleartext",
$randomseedvalue))

then i can't connect.

Is this because the crypt in perl is different from that in
postgres? that would really surprise me.

Thanks in advance, aaron.