Question, WAL file sequence on standby database? Always starts at 00?

From: ethan(at)757(dot)org
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question, WAL file sequence on standby database? Always starts at 00?
Date: 2008-11-19 15:43:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello all,

I've started to setup a standby database, following the good
official documentation. I've got WAL files archiving, I've got scripts
moving them to the standby, but no data in the standby.

I triggered a backup on the primary, which worked fine. The WAL files
appeared to be created.

But on the standby system, I can see that it is always trying to read in
the first file
LOG: could not open file "pg_xlog/000000010000000000000000" (log file 0, segment 0): No such file or directory

However, since I had the primary logging for a little while, the backup
is in a different file (0000000100000004000000D4)

I figure I'm missing something obvious, but googling around and
searching the mailing list archive isn't yeilding anything related to this
issue. My config is pretty straightforward, the recovery.conf file is
identical to the proposed one in the official docs.

I found that it's possible to force the primary to start over again but
I can see this being problematic in the future and it doesn't seem clean.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Platform is 8.2 on CentOS.

TIA
- Ethan