Re: Speed of SSL connections; cost of renegotiation

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Speed of SSL connections; cost of renegotiation
Date: 2003-04-12 04:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> "scott.marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> writes:
> > Ummm. I'm not comfortable with using a time based period for
> > renogatiation. What can move in an hour from a P100 on Arcnet versus a 32
> > CPU altix on switched fabric are two entirely different things. If there
> > is a "sweet spot" for how often to renogotiate it would be based on
> > amount.

Well, I suspect that the amount is high enough that you might leave a
connection from, say, a web server using the same key for days on end
if you set a reasonably high amount. Probably the ideal is to have a
maximum time and amount. But as you point out, if it's a GUC variable, it
can be set by the user.

Personally, I would tend to go for a time limit over a size limit
because a size limit leaves an open-ended time, whereas a time limit
puts a definite limit on size as well. (And a very powerful system going
full bore for a long period of time over a high-speed connection is
pretty rare.)

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> I realized this morning that there's probably a security tradeoff
> involved: renegotiating the session key limits the amount of session
> data encrypted with any one key, which is good; but each renegotiation
> requires another use of the server key, increasing the odds that an
> eavesdropper could break *that* (which'd let him into all sessions not
> just the one).

This seems extremely low-risk to me; there's very little data
transferred using the server key.

> I'm beginning to think we need to consult some experts to find out what
> the right tradeoff is.

If you really want to know, yes. I would think there would be a paper or
something out there, but I failed to dig one up.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC