Re: Detecting corrupted pages earlier

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Detecting corrupted pages earlier
Date: 2003-02-18 06:14:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> The header is only a dozen or two bytes long, so torn-page syndrome
> won't result in header corruption.

No. But the checksum would detect both header corruption and torn pages.
Two for the price of one. But I don't think it's worth changing the page
layout for, either. Maybe, if anybody still cares next time the page layout
is changed, pop it in with whatever else is being changed.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC