Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, current-users(at)netbsd(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
Date: 2003-01-31 03:15:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Does the shared memory stuff use disk at all? Perhaps that's the
> difference between PostgreSQL and other applications.

Shared memory in NetBSD is just an interface to mmap'd pages, so it can
be swapped to disk. But I assume your swap is not on NFS....

A ktrace would be helpful. Also, it would be helpful if you tried doing
an initdb to a directory on the filer to see if you can even create a
database cluster, and tried doing that or rsyncing and accessing your
data over NFS with a NetBSD system as the NFS server.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC