Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS

From: Greywolf <greywolf(at)starwolf(dot)com>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: Ian Fry <Ian(dot)Fry(at)sophos(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <current-users(at)netbsd(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
Date: 2003-02-05 22:01:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

[DJC: This feels rather fragile. I doubt that it is hardware related because I dad
[DJC: tried it on the other ethernet interface in the machine which was on a
[DJC: completely different network than the one I am on now.

All I can offer up is that at one point I had to reduce to 16k NFSIO
when I replaced a switch (you didn't replace a switch, did you?) between
my i386 and my sparc (my le0 and the switch didn't play nicely together;
once I got the hme0 in, everything was happy as a clam).

[DJC: What is the implication of smaller read and write size? Will I
[DJC: necessarily take a performance hit?

I didn't start noticing observable degradation across 100TX until I
dropped NFSIO to 4k (which I did purely for benchmarking statistics).

The differences between 8k, 16k and 32k have not been noticeable
to me. 32k IO would hang my system at one point; since that time,
something appears to have been fixed.

[DJC: --
[DJC: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves
[DJC: http://www.druid.net/darcy/ | and a sheep voting on
[DJC: +1 416 425 1212 (DoD#0082) (eNTP) | what's for dinner.
[DJC:

--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Servers' choice!