Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing
Date: 2002-10-06 15:52:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On 26 Sep 2002, Neil Conway wrote:

> The fact that ext2 defaults to asynchronous mode and UFS (at least on
> the BSDs) defaults to synchronous mode seems like a total non-issue to
> me. Is there any more to the alleged difference in reliability?

It was sort of pointed out here, but perhaps not made completely
clear, that Berkley FFS defaults to synchronous meta-data updates,
but asynchronous data updates. You can also specify entirely
synchronous or entirely asynchronous updates. Linux ext2fs supports
only these last two modes, which is the problem.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC