Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers Mailing List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date: 2002-09-20 09:56:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> Actually, a core member did implement this just a few weeks ago. The
> same crew arguing this time rejected the changes and removed them from
> the 7.3 feature set.

The change to make a PG_XLOG environment variable was rejected. Is that
really the change you were talking about?

> So some folks have their heels dug in, and the vocal ones are not really
> interested in understanding the issues which this feature is addressing.

I was one of the vocal objectors, and I certainly understand the
issues very well. Perhaps we should be saying the vocal supporters
of the environment variable don't understand the issues.

None of the objectors I saw have any problem with enabling Windows NT to
have the log file somewhere else. In fact, I'm very strongly in support
of this. But I object to doing it in a way that makes the system more
fragile and susceptable to not starting properly, or even damage, when
there's a simple and obvious way of doing it right: put this in the
database configuration file rather than in an environment variable.

Why you object to that, and insist it must be an environment variable
instead (if that is indeed what you're doing), I'm not sure....

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC