Re: Fw: OID

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Jules Alberts <jules(dot)alberts(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl>
Cc: Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fw: OID
Date: 2002-08-19 14:51:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Jules Alberts wrote:

> Is there any consensus aboit avoiding OIDs? I'm running a small test
> system right now using OIDs as a means to refer to BLOBs. Should I
> expect any trouble using OIDs in our future production system?

I don't know if there's a consensus, but I certainly avoid using OIDs
completely in my own tables. They're can wrap, for a start, so in a
really busy, large database you might end up getting one that you
already have. Also, I don't like "hidden" fields; if I'm going to refer
to soemething, I like it to be nice and obvious what's being referred
to. And of course they're not portable.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC