Re: OIDs (Or: another RTFM question?)

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OIDs (Or: another RTFM question?)
Date: 2002-07-18 02:32:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder" <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch> writes:
> > Remaining question: if OIDs are optional for normal tables, why are they
> > created per default? Mandated by SQL? Backward compatibility?
>
> Backward compatibility. The SQL spec has no concept of OIDs at all.

I have grave doubts as to how practical this would be, but what
you do think of just getting rid of OIDs entirely? How hard would
this be to implement? How many applications would it really affect?

It seems a bit unclean to me to have this special OID mechanism
doing something that standard SQL/relational mechanisms already do
just fine.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC