Re: Documentation on page files

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation on page files
Date: 2002-04-23 08:22:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> > But I think the most useful behaviour should be to dump system fields
> > too, so mildly knowledgeable sysadmin can import the dump and do the
> > right thing afterwards (like restore data as it was before transaction
> > nr 7000)
>
> Well, i didn't think you could have statements of the form:
>
> insert into table (xmin,xmax,cmin,cmax,...) values (...);
>
> So you would have to leave it as a comment. In which case someone would have
> to go and by hand work out what would be in or out. I can make it an option
> but I don't think it would be particularly useful.

What we really want is to be able to take that output, edit it,
and put it into another program that creates the page files anew.
Or maybe just generate new data ourselves and run it into that
program. Then, if we can take a tablespace we've created this way
and attach it to an already-running postgres system, we've got
really, really fast import/export capability.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC