Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE
Date: 2002-04-19 06:41:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, mlw wrote:

> The days when "head movement" is relevant are long over. Not a single drive
> sold today, or in the last 5 years, is a simple spindle/head system. ....
> The assumption that sequentially reading a file from a modern disk drive means
> that the head will move less often is largely bogus.

Well, oddly enough, even with the head moving just as often, sequential
I/O has always been much faster than random I/O on every drive I've
owned in the past five years. So I guess I/O speed doesn't have a lot
to do with head movement or something.

Some of my drives have started to "chatter" quite noisily during random
I/O, too. I thought that this was due to the head movement, but I guess
not, since they're quite silent during sequential I/O.

BTW, what sort of benchmarking did you do to determine that the
head movement is similar during random and sequential I/O on drives
in the last five years or so?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC