rotating log files

From: Jelle Ouwerkerk <jelle(at)openface(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: rotating log files
Date: 2001-04-27 13:23:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

What is a good solution for rotating postgresql log files?

I'm running 'Linux 2.2.16-22smp #1 SMP i686 unknown' and a solution that
was proposed to me was to use cron and a program called logrotate:

DESCRIPTION
logrotate is designed to ease administration of systems
that generate large numbers of log files. It allows auto­
matic rotation, compression, removal, and mailing of log
files. Each log file may be handled daily, weekly,
monthly, or when it grows too large.

Unfortunately, after replacing/rotating/compressing the database log file,
the new log file remains empty. I have a feeling that postgres has lost
the reference to the original log file and that the new log data is lost
into the void.

I'm curious what the consensus is about managing log files.

Thanks

Jelle Ouwerkerk
Software Developer
Openface Internet Inc.