Re: Zip Code Proximity

From: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
To: Jeff Hoffmann <jeff(at)propertykey(dot)com>
Cc: Andy Lewis <alewis(at)recruitersonline(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Zip Code Proximity
Date: 2000-05-19 02:33:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Jeff Hoffmann wrote:

I tried to get a few permutations of that to work, but with no
luck. The following will give a list of all places sorted by how far away
from my house they are:

select zipcode, city, state, point(latitude, longitude) as point
from zips
order by point_distance(location_of(95051), point(latitude,longitude))

I defined the function location_of for my own convenience:

create function location_of(integer) returns point as
'select point(latitude, longitude) from zips where zipcode = $1 '
language 'sql'

# > select zip, location <@> '(lat, lon)'::box
# > from zipcodes
# > order by location <@> '(lat, lon)'::box
# > limit 10;
# >
#
# oops, typo. those boxes should be points. plus, it looks like you can
# get zipcodes & lat-longs from the census at:
#
# http://ftp.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/places.html
#
#

--
dustin sallings The world is watching America,
http://2852210114/~dustin/ and America is watching TV.