Re: [HACKERS] Can't run current PostgreSQL

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Can't run current PostgreSQL
Date: 1998-01-10 18:45:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> I am trying to run the latest version (supping source daily) and I get the
> following error when I run psql.
>
> Connection to database 'darcy' failed.
> connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running and accepting connections at 'UNIX Socket' on port '5432'?
>
> Have I missed some change that I have to make? This is on the same
> system as the server.

New default startup disabled TCP/IP connections, using Unix Domain Sockets
exclusively. If PGHOST/PGPORT are set, then the "frontends" try to use TCP/IP
vs Unix Domain, and will therefore fail. To get the old behaviour, startup
postmaster with the -i option to turn TCP/IP connections back on again...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org