Re: ODBC FAQ

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: "Julia A(dot)Case" <julie(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, patrice(at)idf(dot)net, pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC FAQ
Date: 1998-04-20 18:10:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> This seems somewhat reasonable except for one thing. How do I maintain
> a static document of frequently asked questions if most of the questions
> are just starting to ba asked?

I think Patrice is focusing alot of his attentions right now on the
various FAQs and getting them organized, so I'll leave this one in his
hands to answer...Patrice?

> > Hell, if its going to come to a "I want to do this, and I want to
> > do that" sort of war amongst two groups that are trying to focus on one
> > goal (which I'm *trying* to avoid), why don't you both create a mirror the
> > WWW site at www.postgresql.org, and help integrate everything in one
> > place? It makes a helluva lot more sense then pointing ppl at different
> > locations to find information...
> >
> > If the one at MageNet is sooooo out of date, can you please point
> > Patrice at something newer to work on so that he can get it integrated
> > into our document tree?
> >

> I sense edginess here. I merely stated a fact and offered to correct
> situation over the weekend. I cannot help it, if you are uninformed as
> to the validity of the older FAQ. I guess I should keep my mouth shut.

Damn, Unix ppl are soooo much easier to co-ordinate :)

Okay.

Patrice, I think (please correct me if I'm wrong), has taken over
co-ordination of the FAQs associated with the project, so I will leave it
in his hands to let you know what he requires for the ODBC FAQ...

> > As far as *that* is concerned, I've seen at least two postings
> > from Byronn about fixes/improvements for the drivers, but have yet to see
> > a patch posted to have it integrated into the main distribution/source
> > tree. The source tree *is* a moving target...putting in changing source
> > code is acceptable, as it means that the weekly snapshot that gets built
> > will have the newest ODBC source code in it...
> >
> > Is this too much to be asking?
> >

> No it is not. We just haven't gotten or act together yet. They WERE
> forthcoming.

Okay, the impression I've been getting from the postings that
Bryonn has been posting was that the newest version is available at your
site, and, well, if we want to update the distribution, go out and grab a
copy and update it...he's never said that outright, its just the way that
its come across, especially since I've yet to see a patch across against
the distribution...

Sorry about the mis-impression...

Now, are you adverse to merging the ODBC website as part of the
whole PostgreSQL web site, so that all information is centralized and
follows the same overall look/feel to it?