Re: [HACKERS] Data type removal

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Darren King <darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Data type removal
Date: 1998-03-27 15:52:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Darren King wrote:

> And I know there are other areas that are broken or could be written better.
> We all do what we can...I'm not real familiar with the workings of the cache,
> indices, etc., but working on AIX has given me a great understanding of how
> to make/load modules.

This whole discussion has, IMHO, gone dry...Darren, if you can cleanly and
easily build a module for the ip_and_mac contrib types to use as a model
to work from, please do so...

I think the concept of modularization for types is a good idea, and agree
with your perspective that it *proves* our extensibility...

But, this has to be added in *perfectly* cleanly, such that there is no
extra work on anyone's part in order to make use of those types we already
have existing.

FreeBSD uses something called 'LKM's (loadable kernel modules) for doing
this in the kernel, and Linux does something similar, with the benefit
being, in most cases, that you can unload an older version and load in a
newer one relatively seamlessly...

Until a demo is produced as to how this can work, *please* kill this
thread...its gotten into a circular loop, and, quite frankly, isn't moving
anywhere...

if this is to be workable, the module has to be build when the system is
compiled, initially, for the base types, and installed into a directory
that the server can see and load from...the *base* modules have to be
transparent to the end user/adminstrator...