Re: Fulltext search configuration

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Mohamed <mohamed5432154321(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fulltext search configuration
Date: 2009-02-02 18:10:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Mohamed,

please, try to read docs and think a bit first.

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Mohamed wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Mohamed wrote:
>>>
>>> Hehe, ok..

You did wrong ! ts_lexize expects word, not phrase !

>>> Mohamed, what did you expect from ts_lexize ? Please, provide us valuable
>>> information, else we can't help you.
>>>

> What I expected was something to be returned. After all they are valid words
> taken from an article. (perhaps you don't see the words, but only ???... )
> Am I wrong to expect something ? Should I go for setting up the
> configuration completly first?

You should definitely read documentation
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/textsearch-debugging.html#TEXTSEARCH-DICTIONARY-TESTING
Period.

> [...]
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/textsearch-dictionaries.html
>> "A text search configuration binds a parser together with a set of
>> dictionaries to process the parser's output tokens. For each token type that
>> the parser can return, a separate list of dictionaries is specified by the
>> configuration. When a token of that type is found by the parser, each
>> dictionary in the list is consulted in turn, until some dictionary
>> recognizes it as a known word. If it is identified as a stop word, or if no
>> dictionary recognizes the token, it will be discarded and not indexed or
>> searched for. The general rule for configuring a list of dictionaries is to
>> place first the most narrow, most specific dictionary, then the more general
>> dictionaries,
>> finishing with a very general dictionary, like a Snowball stemmer or
>> simple, which recognizes everything."
>>

> Ok, but I don't have Thesaurus or a Snowball to fall back on. So when words
> that are words but for some reason is not recognized "it will be discarded
> and not indexed or searched for." which I consider a problem since I don't
> trust my configuration to cover everything.
>
> Is this not a valid concern?
>

>> quick example:
>>
>> CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION arabic (
>> COPY = english
>> );
>>
>> =# \dF+ arabic
>> Text search configuration "public.arabic"
>> Parser: "pg_catalog.default"
>> Token | Dictionaries
>> -----------------+--------------
>> asciihword | english_stem
>> asciiword | english_stem
>> email | simple
>> file | simple
>> float | simple
>> host | simple
>> hword | english_stem
>> hword_asciipart | english_stem
>> hword_numpart | simple
>> hword_part | english_stem
>> int | simple
>> numhword | simple
>> numword | simple
>> sfloat | simple
>> uint | simple
>> url | simple
>> url_path | simple
>> version | simple
>> word | english_stem
>>
>> Then you can alter this configuration.
>

> Yes, I figured thats the next step but thought I should get the lexize to
> work first? What do you think?
>
> Just a thought, say I have this :
>
> ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION pg
> ALTER MAPPING FOR asciiword, asciihword, hword_asciipart,
> word, hword, hword_part
> WITH pga_ardict, ar_ispell, ar_stem;
>
> is it possible to keep adding dictionaries, to get both arabic and english
> matches on the same column (arabic people tend to mix), like this :
>
> ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION pg
> ALTER MAPPING FOR asciiword, asciihword, hword_asciipart,
> word, hword, hword_part
> WITH pga_ardict, ar_ispell, ar_stem, pg_english_dict, english_ispell,

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83