Re: RAID 10 Benchmark with different I/O schedulers

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAID 10 Benchmark with different I/O schedulers
Date: 2008-05-07 10:46:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Craig James wrote:
> I/O Sched AVG Test1 Test2
> --------- ----- ----- -----
> cfq 705 695 715
> noop 758 769 747
> deadline 741 705 775
> anticipatory 494 477 511

Interesting. That contrasts with some tests I did a while back on a
16-disc RAID-0, where noop, deadline, and anticipatory were all identical
in performance, with cfq being significantly slower. Admittedly, the disc
test was single-process, which is probably why the anticipatory behaviour
didn't kick in. You are seeing a little bit of degradation with cfq - I
guess it's worse the bigger the disc subsystem you have.

Matthew

--
Matthew: That's one of things about Cambridge - all the roads keep changing
names as you walk along them, like Hills Road in particular.