Re: trouble with pg_dumpall

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Tena Sakai <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trouble with pg_dumpall
Date: 2008-02-28 04:32:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Tena Sakai wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> You cuaght me with a fine point.
>
>> but I didn't see HOME being exported.
>
> I have changed the script accordingly:
>
> And the result/my claim remains the same as before:
>
> pg_dumpall: could not connect to database "template1": fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>
> I see just one more option. Namely, to change the
> postgres user entry for pg_hba.conf to "trust" for
> a short period as pg_dumpall starts and then put it
> back to the way normally is (md5). I would rather
> not do that and get .pgpass or PGPASSFILE to work
> for me.

I didn't really expect that to make a difference. What does your .pgpass look
like? What OS user are you running the cron job as? Do you have SELINUX
enabled? Can you run the script with the strace command I sent in a previous
email so that we can see what's really going on?

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/