Re: trouble with pg_dumpall

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Tena Sakai <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trouble with pg_dumpall
Date: 2008-02-28 03:41:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Tena Sakai wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
>> I bet the $HOME environment variable isn't
>> being set by your cron implementation.
>> Try putting an echo $HOME in your script and
>> see if it's defined.
>
> I did. Here's the result:
>
> +++++++++
> PGUSER: postgres
> PGDATABASE: canon
> PGHOST: localhost
> PGPASSFILE: /usr/local/pgsql/.pgpass
> PGDATA: /usr/local/pgsql/data
> +++++++++
> HOME: /usr/local/pgsql
> Password:
> pg_dumpall: could not connect to database "template1": fe_sendauth: no password supplied

You might need to export the variables and not just set it. I think you're
doing that with the other variables already, but I didn't see HOME being
exported. I've never had to explicitly export these on Redhat derivatives,
so I doubt that's the problem.

What does your .pgpass look like?

I couldn't find it in the message archives.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/