Re: What is happening on buildfarm member dugong

From: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is happening on buildfarm member dugong
Date: 2007-09-11 11:43:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> dugong has been failing contribcheck repeatably for the last day or so,
> with a very interesting symptom: CREATE DATABASE is failing with

The reason for that is that I've been trying to switch from 9.1 to 10.0
version of the ICC compiler. A month ago, I've tried for the first time,
discovered a segfault due the bug in ICC, submitted it to Intel. Lately
Intel fixed it in icc 10.0.026. And in last several days I tried to
make the new version work with postgres. From the first impression it
worked, so I upgraded the compiler for the buildfarm, but the buildfarm
failed.

Few notes:
1) without the --enable-cassert everything works
2) with --enable-cassert it, the only thing that fails in the tests is
contrib-installcheck...
3) And recently I tried to compile PG also with -O0 flag, it actually
worked.
4) Also, just now I tried to compile PG 8.2.4 and the same problem occurs.

So for me the most probable explanation is the ICC bug, but
unfortunately since it is not a pure segfault, it is a bit hard for me to
tackle...

So, I can either completely switch back to 9.1 and forget it, or we
can try to find or at least localize this bug(if it is ICC fault). But to
do that, I need some advices/help, how to do it better...

regards,
Sergey
Sergey E. Koposov
Max Planck Institute for Astronomy/Cambridge Institute for Astronomy/Sternberg Astronomical Institute
Tel: +49-6221-528-349
Web: http://lnfm1.sai.msu.ru/~math
E-mail: math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru