Re: tsearch2 patch status report

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: tsearch2 patch status report
Date: 2007-08-21 16:04:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> I've applied version 0.58 of the patch with a lot of further
> editorializing. I feel fairly confident now in the code that interfaces

Great ! Just checked and most things after trivial changes are working !
We need to summarize changes and provide upgraide guide.

> The main thing that is lacking at the moment is documentation. The
> stuff Bruce has been working on will be good introductory material,
> but we've got basically zip in reference material. I'll do some work
> on that over the next couple of days, but there's probably room for
> more hands.

We have SQL reference and I'm sure Bruce should have it too. Bruce,
let me know when you do last changes, so I could read docs again

> Also, we need to decide what to do with contrib/tsearch2, which is
> currently DOA because of conflicts with the new core code. We could
> either rip it out entirely, or try to convert it into a compatibility
> package. In view of the renamings of functions we agreed to do, I
> think there is some scope for a compatibility package, but I have no
> time to work on that.

Probably, we could leave tsearch2 in contrib as a compat module and
explicitly define 8.4 will be the last release with tsearch2 support.

> This is, by a wide margin, the largest single patch ever to hit the
> Postgres CVS tree. Congratulations to Oleg and Teodor on seeing
> it through!

It was really hard task for all of us. It's pity I don't drink at all, but
Teodor will drink the health of "text search in PostgreSQL" today !
Tom, as I know, already drain out bottle of vodka, so Bruce, you need to
join us !

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83