Re: AMD vs Intel

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Geoff Tolley <geoff(at)polimetrix(dot)com>
Cc: Jon Asher <jon(dot)asher(at)gmail(dot)com>, SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AMD vs Intel
Date: 2007-05-17 18:18:11
Lists: sfpug

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Geoff Tolley wrote:

> Jon Asher wrote:
>> Has anyone seen recent numbers comparing Postgres performance on the latest
>> AMD vs Intel chips?
>> I remember that several years ago AMD came out on top, but after a few
>> years
>> of AMD glory it looks like Intel is back....
>
> The only one I found was this comparing Opteron 275's and 280's to Xeon 5160
> (that's the Woodcrest), giving a 28% advantage to the Xeon vs the 280:
>
> http://www.vaultnetworks.com/dedicated-servers/amd-vs-intel.html
>
> This seems to quote numbers from this Anandtech article, which mentions that
> it's a dual-socket setup:
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2772&p=9
>
> Beat in mind that the Xeon costs twice as much as the 280 (can't speak for
> the platform as a whole), but it's a point of reference nonetheless.

I have a few clients running the latest Woodcrest Xeons and they outperform
the comparable Opterons at this time. If you search around on the
pgsql-perform archives, you'll likely find lots of info regarding this.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/