Upgrade Process

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgrade Process
Date: 2007-04-26 16:47:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Unlike my previous upgrade from the 7.4.x series to the 8.1.x series, I
now have all data in /var/lib/pgsql/data. Currently running 8.1.4 on my
Slackware system and want to upgrade to 8.2.4, so I'm checking my procedure
before inadvertently creating major problems for myself.

What I believe should work -- and I'd like conformation or corrections,
please -- is the following:

1) Run 'pg_dumpall > pg8.1.4.sql' as user postgres.
2) Stop the running postmaster as root.
3) Upgrade the Slackware package to 8.2.4 as root.
4) Restart the postmaster as root.
5) Run 'psql -f pg8.1.4.sql postgres' as user postgres.

Have I missed a critical step? The upgrade will replace the existing files
with the new ones in the same directories.

TIA,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Accelerator(TM)