Re: SOC & user quotas

From: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: SOC & user quotas
Date: 2007-02-28 17:38:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Sergey E. Koposov wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Per user AND per database (as Tom noted). But I dont see what's odd in
>> it... It exists in Oracle, and I need quotas in the project on which I'm
>> working. And I remember user requests for quotas in the mailing lists ...
>
> Well Oracle isn't really our goal is it? I am not questioning that you
> are well intended but I just don't see a use case.
>
> For example, what happens if I hit my quota?

Then you cannot run any queries that extend the size of your relations
(for example INSERT, UPDATE etc.). Unless you drop your tables or DELETE
something

The use case for that is the situation when you provide the access to
different people to do something on the DB. The real world example (in
which I'm interested) is when the large science project produce a huge
amount of data, store it in large database, and let different scientists
work on that data, having their little accounts there. (example
http://casjobs.sdss.org/CasJobs/Guide.aspx ). That's the way how most of
large astronomical projects start to work now.

Regards,
Sergey

Sergey E. Koposov
Max Planck Institute for Astronomy/Cambridge Institute for Astronomy/Sternberg Astronomical Institute
Tel: +49-6221-528-349
Web: http://lnfm1.sai.msu.ru/~math
E-mail: math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru