Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Date: 2007-02-20 22:12:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>> FYI, I added this to the patches queue because I think we decided
>> full-text indexing should be in the core. If I am wrong, please let me
>> know.
>
> One of the objections I remember to this particular implementation was
> that configuration should be done using functions rather than new syntax
> in gram.y. This seems a good idea because it avoids bloating the
> grammar, while still allowing dependency tracking, pg_dump support,
> syscache support etc.

It's not so big addition to the gram.y, see a list of commands
http://mira.sai.msu.su/~megera/pgsql/ftsdoc/sql-commands.html.
SQL commands make FTS syntax clear and follow tradition to manage
system objects. From the user's side, I'd be very unhappy to configure
FTS, which can be very complex, using functions. All we want is to
provide users clear syntax.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83