Re: Post-mature optimization...

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Eric Walstad <eric(at)ericwalstad(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Post-mature optimization...
Date: 2007-01-18 06:37:42
Lists: sfpug

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Eric Walstad wrote:

>> Again with the "foo". I think that in genericizing your example you've made
>> it a bit nonsensical.
> I'm essentially:
> 1. moving (copy, delete) all the existing data from the existing_data
> table (to foo/swap)
> 2. importing new data (to the existing_data table)
> 3. move back existing data (from foo/swap) not in new data (now in
> existing_data table).

I think it would be really helpful if you just sent us the exact sql you were
trying to optimize. Like for instance, you sent that you were doing "DELETE
FROM existing_data;" so we naturally advise using truncate, but it seems
likely that you actually have a WHERE clause attached to your DELETE, so you
can't use TRUNCATE. The actual queries would be much more helpful than the
oversimplified ones.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/