Re: how do I load a 8.0.8 database with unicode encoding

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Jessica Richard <rjessil(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how do I load a 8.0.8 database with unicode encoding
Date: 2006-11-28 16:07:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Jessica Richard wrote:

> got an errro when loading a db from 8.0.8 with unicode to 8.1.4 server with UTF8 server:
> ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x92

See this info in the HISTORY file:

* Some users are having problems loading UTF-8 data into 8.1.X. This
is because previous versions allowed invalid UTF-8 byte sequences
to be entered into the database, and this release properly accepts
only valid UTF-8 sequences. One way to correct a dumpfile is to run
the command "iconv -c -f UTF-8 -t UTF-8 -o cleanfile.sql
dumpfile.sql". The -c option removes invalid character sequences. A
diff of the two files will show the sequences that are invalid.
"iconv" reads the entire input file into memory so it might be
necessary to use split to break up the dump into multiple smaller
files for processing.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/