Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init

From: Reinhard Max <max(at)suse(dot)de>
To: pgsqlrpms-hackers(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init
Date: 2006-08-25 14:31:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 at 10:20, Tom Lane wrote:

> If this were a bulletproof solution then I'd consider it anyway, but
> AFAICS it's got the very same vulnerabilities as the flag-file
> method, ie, if you RPM install or upgrade while your mountable data
> directory is offline, you can still get screwed.

Another flaw of the flag-file method is, that PGDATA might have been
changed by the sysadmin between installing the RPM and calling the
init script for the first time.

But shouldn't mountpoints always have 000 permissions to prevent
writing into the directory as long as nothing is mounted to it?

cu
Reinhard