Re: pg_dumpall 8.1.4 large objects error

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall 8.1.4 large objects error
Date: 2006-06-09 16:21:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Jeff Frost wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Some cursory trawling in the REL7_3 sources says that this means that
>> "SELECT DISTINCT loid FROM pg_largeobject" found a large object OID
>> that then could not be found by an indexscan of pg_largeobject. So
>> I'd try a REINDEX of pg_largeobject to see if that fixes it. See the
>> REINDEX man page concerning hoops you have to jump through to reindex
>> a system catalog --- IIRC, the hoops are much higher and narrower back
>> in 7.3.

Got the REINDEX completed and found a new error that I haven't seen before:

pg_dump: SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR: Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(96)
pg_dump: The command was: FETCH 100 IN blobcmt
pg_dumpall: pg_dump failed on database "vsl_cs", exiting

I was dumping like so:

/usr/local/pgsql-8.1.4/bin/pg_dumpall | /usr/bin/bzip2 > vsl_cs-20060608.sql.bz2

Would it be better and more efficient to just pg_dumpall the globals and
pg_dump in custom format the vsl_cs db? There's actually only one DB on the
systems besides the system dbs. Server is 7.3.2, and the plan is to upgrade
it.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/