Re: Re [HACKERS]: Still not happy with psql's multiline history

From: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re [HACKERS]: Still not happy with psql's multiline history
Date: 2006-06-04 04:57:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Sergey E. Koposov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm sending the patch fixing the \r bug:
>
> Funny, I just applied a simpler fix for the \r bug. Please review it.
> Thanks.

It is simpler, because it behaves differently.
Your patch for the case:
wsdb=# select
wsdb-# \r
Query buffer reset (cleared).

puts in the history two elements ("\r" and "select")

Mine puts only "\r", just because
<quote> \r reset (clear) the query buffer</quote>
and I think that's reasonable, but I don't insist...

> I am confused by the \e bug. I just tried 8.1.X and it seems to behave
> the same as CVS HEAD. What exactly should it do?

It is not actually a bug, I think it's a Tom's habit.
In 8.1.x if you type for example in the editor "select 1+" and exit from
it, the "select 1+" string will be already in the history. But in CVS HEAD
it will be saved internally, but it won't be shown in the history until the
user finishes the command with ';'. And there is really no need for
correcting that, I think.

Regards,
Sergey