Re: does wal archiving block the current client connection?

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: does wal archiving block the current client connection?
Date: 2006-05-15 18:31:13
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> No, I can't see what the connection should be there. It's supposed to
> be designed so that the archive command can take its sweet old time and
> nothing happens except that a backlog of WAL files builds up in pg_xlog.

That's what I thought, but that doesn't seem to be what I'm observing. Of
course the NAS device only gets wedged about once every month or two, so it's
difficult to reproduce. Probably would need to build another system similar
and hit it with pg_bench or something similar, then pull the plug on the NAS
device to reproduce it and see if it acts similarly.

> What PG version is this exactly? Are you sure that the only connection
> of the NAS device to PG operations is through the archive script, ie,
> you don't have any part of the normal PG data directory mounted on it?

It's postgresql-8.1.3 compiled from source.

PGDATA is in /usr/local/pgsql/data which is a local RAID10 array, and /pg_xlog
is mounted on a local RAID1.

Things that touch the /mnt/pgbackup directory are the pitr base backup scripts
which run twice monthly and the archive_command script.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/